International Dark Sky Places Program Manager, Director of Engagement, Administrative Associate. Scroll down to learn more.
International Dark Sky Places Program Manager
The International Dark-Sky Association (IDA), based in Tucson, AZ, is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to “preserve and protect the nighttime environment and our heritage of dark skies through environmentally responsible outdoor lighting.” Founded in 1988, the IDA has made great strides in public education, outreach, and conservation efforts. People around the world are now aware of light pollution and its impact on the natural nighttime environment.
Reporting to the Public Policy Director, the International Dark Skies Places (IDSP) Program Manager has overall strategic and operational responsibility for the management, growth and direction of IDA’s Dark Skies Places Program. The position provides leadership for all aspects of the Program, including its intersection with public policy, its evolution as new opportunities and challenges arise, its professional rigor and scientific credibility, its public visibility, and its engagement with Board, staff, and other key constituencies.
The IDSP Program Manager will ensure that IDA’s International Dark Skies Places Program is managed and administered smoothly and seamlessly, from initial inquiries through final designations and announcements. This includes receiving applications and guiding applicants through the review process; ensuring the integrity of designations through ongoing review and applicant relations; maintaining guidelines and other key documents and updating these as necessary; coordinating and supporting the work of the Dark Sky Places Committee; collaborating – as appropriate – with agencies, like-minded organizations and others; and publicizing the Program through press, social media, and other outlets. The Program Manager is also responsible for supervising IDA’s IDSP Administrative Assistant, a part-time position that provides support for all aspects of the IDSP program.
Administrative Assistant (Part-Time)
The International Dark-Sky Association is the only International nonprofit working to minimize the impacts of light at night.
Reporting to the Administrative Director, the Administrative Assistant supports IDA staff with general administrative tasks. This is a part-time, permanent position and does not offer benefits. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate a strong commitment to our mission and be interested in nonprofit work. An interest in light pollution, astronomy, or conservation will be an asset in this role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Track and mail light pollution brochures and materials
- Use Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database to create data reports and manage mailings
- General filing, sorting, organizing of materials and supplies
- Data entry
- Some website maintenance (WordPress)
- Liaison with IDA staff and external businesses to oversee operational logistics (mailings, supplies, etc)
- Communicate with members and supporters as necessary
- Other tasks as requested
- A background in the nonprofit sector or customer relations
- Database management (NeonCRM a plus)
- Friendly and accessible written communication skills.
- Strong word processing skills: Microsoft Word, Google Docs, WordPress
- Strong spreadsheet processing skills: Microsoft Excel, Google Spreadsheets
- Proficiency with Mac computers
- Friendly and accessible communications skills
- Must be able to comfortably lift 25 lbs.
- IDA will provide training and ongoing support
- 20 hours/week. Flexible scheduling (during business hours).
- All activity takes place at IDA Headquarters: 3223 N First Ave., Tucson, AZ 85719
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Susan Ciarniello, email@example.com. Please detail your interest in this position and relevant background. We’ll be in touch soon if we wish to set up an interview.
IDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer