IDA Development Associate
IDA is hiring a Development Associate to work in its Tucson, Arizona office. Reporting to the Executive Director, the position works closely with staff and the Board of Directors to create and oversee implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising, which includes major gifts, corporate donations, and in-kind resources. The position also plays a critical role in IDA’s fund development work by providing support to staff, and participating in all fundraising activities, including donor and public relations, annual appeals, and special events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Associate will perform the following duties:
Plan fund development activities
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Development Committee to increase revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization.
Organize fund development activities
- Oversee the planning and execution of IDA’s strategies to significantly increase its major donor and individual fundraising programs and success.
- Coordinate with IDA’s grant contractor to ensure that foundation cultivation strategies are seamlessly and fully integrated into IDA’s overall fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with IDA’s Membership Director to ensure the close coordination with ongoing membership renewal and recruitment activities.
- Administer, strengthen and build IDA’s corporate sponsorship program.
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events, including the IDA Annual General Meeting and donor-hosted receptions, and to generate funds for these events.
- Identify and develop community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities.
- Oversee the management and administration of IDA’s donor database and mailing lists.
- Coordinate and secure in-kind donations.
- Where appropriate, engage volunteers for special fund development projects.
Promote the organization
- Work with the IDA Director of Communications to develop outreach strategies promoting the organization to its donors and maximizing public awareness of IDA’s fundraising activities.
- Work with the IDA Director of Communications to develop, design, and distribute marketing materials for development and fundraising activities.
Provide administrative support for fund development activities
- Process gifts and prepare acknowledgment letters and other donor correspondence.
- Maintain foundation, corporation, and individual donor files.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Maintain and update donor database records.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate and individual donors.
- Coordinate the production and mailing of IDA’s spring, mid-year, and year-end appeals.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and oversee other responsibilities for IDA fundraising events.
The Development Associate should demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Fully committed to the mission and goals of IDA.
- Identify new and unique ways to improve the finances of IDA and to create new fund development opportunities.
- Understand, demonstrate and adhere to best ethical practices as defined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of IDA.
- Communicate effectively by speaking, listening, and writing in a clear and thorough manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance IDA’s effectiveness.
- Assess situations to determine their importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Advanced or bachelor degree in a related or relevant field
- A minimum of three years experience in fund development and administration, preferably with a nonprofit organization
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of fundraising management
- Knowledge of special events planning and management
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit governance, management and administration
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Proficiency in the use of computer
- Donor database management and fundraising software experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
This is a one-year contract position paying $40,000/year and is based at IDA’s headquarters in Tucson, AZ. Depending on job performance and other considerations, the Development Associate may become a full-time IDA staff position in 2018. For more information, please visit IDA’s website at darksky.org.
All application materials must be submitted electronically to J. Scott Feierabend at email@example.com.
In order to be considered for the position applicants must provide:
- A cover letter describing your skills, interest, and relevant experience and why you are best suited for the position; and
- A current resume or C.V.
The position will remain open until filled. No telephone inquiries. Applicants will be notified as the decision-making process proceeds – please do not contact IDA.
IDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer