IDA International Dark Sky Community is a town, city, municipality or other legally organized community that has shown exceptional dedication to the preservation of the night sky through the implementation and enforcement of a quality outdoor lighting ordinance, dark sky education, and citizen support of dark skies. Dark Sky Communities excel in their efforts to promote responsible lighting and dark sky stewardship, and set good examples for surrounding communities.
If you are interested in applying or learning more about how to become a Dark Sky Community click here.
Read “How To Start A Local Dark Skies Group” for some good suggestions on ways to start and sustain a bid for IDA Dark Sky Community status.
Certified IDA International Dark Sky Communities
- Beverly Shores, Indiana (U.S.)
- Bon Accord (Canada)
- Borrego Springs, California (U.S.)
- Coll (Scotland)
- Dripping Springs, Texas (U.S.)
- Flagstaff, Arizona (U.S.)
- Homer Glen, Illinois (U.S.)
- Horseshoe Bay, Texas (U.S.)
- Sark (Channel Islands)
- Sedona, Arizona (U.S.)
- Thunder Mountain Pootsee Nightsky (U.S.)
- Westcliffe and Silver Cliff, Colorado (U.S.)
2016 Submission Deadline Dates
|23 November 2015||25 January 2016|
|28 March 2016||30 May 2016|
|25 July 2016||26 September 2016|
|28 November 2016|